In 2020, Thailand's e-commerce market value grew significantly, which accounted for 9,000 million dollars or 270,000 million baht and is expected to increase by 35% and 50% worldwide in 2021. COVID-19 is an important driver to change consumer behaviors, resulting in purchasing and executing transactions online.
Thailand's Ministry of Commerce has planned on e-Commerce development and determine 4 main strategies, namely; 1. e-Marketplace development: enhancing and supporting domestic and international e-commerce 2. Ecosystem and Enabling Factors: to support e-commerce in every aspect to subtend the growth of e-commerce. 3. Trust and Sustainability: to build trust and sustain e-commerce 4. Competency Building: to enable Thai SMEs to receive advantages out of e-commerce value. As a result, e-commerce the market is expected to have a significant impact on the country.
The important factors that drive to the digital era;
- Total internet users in Thailand account for 57 million people. The number of users has been growing by 3.4 million during COVID-19.
- More than 90% of internet users find and purchase goods online
- 82% of the internet users have experienced online shopping through websites or e-marketplace platforms.
- 39.8 million people have used e-Payment services through E-Wallet, Prompt Pay, Credit Cards, and Mobile Banking
- E-Payment usage has been growing by 18.6%, accounted for 27,000 million baht in 2020-2021.
- Thailand Post announced that the statistic of parcel shipping volume increased by 60% in 2020, which accounted for 8 million parcels per day.